About Me

My photo
While you are reading this, a panda is doing something adorable.

Monday, February 28, 2011

Gluten free homemade pop-tarts... sorta?

I really, really, really wanted pop-tarts all last week. I couldn't really find anything on GF ones, so I sorta just winged it. Let's start! (I hope you read that in Toad's voice from the Mario games, 'cause I wrote in in that voice.)

What's that? Oh, yeah, this is what you need:
1/3 cup brown rice flour
1/3 cup tapioca starch (+1/2 teaspoon you will use later, after adding the 1/3 cup)
1/3 cup potato starch
2 tablespoons Buckwheat flour (+2 teaspoons you will use later, after adding the 2tbs)
1 tablespoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter (I used 12 tablespoons since I only had tub butter)
1 egg
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar.
Some filling that you like.

You also need a cooking machine for this.
Okay, so first just add in all the dry ingredients, just leave out the two things I have in captions in the ingredients list. Mix them together then add in the butter. Mix that well. After the butter is mixed add in the egg and the vinegar, while this getting firmer, add in the 1/2 teaspoon tapioca starch and 2 tablespoons buckwheat. Mix well. It will bet very wetish, but nothing should be sticking to your hands.

There is butter in this. Mmm.. butter.. 
What your ball of dough should look like.
Okay next get out four equal sized pieces of wax paper. Put two next to each other, then put your ball of dough on it, then the other two on top. Stick the ball of dough in the middle of the two sheets. Then roll out.
Bad for bouncing.


Next remove the two top sheets, but keep them to stick on your cooking sheets later, the oily side up. Cut your dough in sections then just cut the sections in half. I used a pizza cutter. Next add your fillings to one side of the dough.

Move one side of the wax paper away from the other.
Next using the side of the wax paper that has the dough will no filling on, flip it on to the side with the filling. It should be okay, but you may have to re-position things like I did. Then transfer them to a cookie sheet with one or both pieces of the used wax paper, oily side up. Cook at 350 degrees(F) for 12 minutes.


I used an Agave nectar glaze on them after they were out of the oven. I used jelly in two and I used WAAAAY too much, so just remember, less is more.
Happy noming! :D

1 comment:

  1. They look weird, but they look tasty. Especially with that glaze. :)

    ReplyDelete